You have the power
It’s true. Sometimes unexpected things can happen when you are travelling, but there are ways to be proactive about your state of mind and make sure you have a happy journey. Here are a few proven strategies to take charge of your stress from the Canadian Mental Health Association
Check in on your mental health
You’ve checked in for your flight. Now take a moment to check in with yourself. What do you notice? Tensed muscles, shallow breathing, a faster heart rate or an unsettled stomach are some signs that your stress levels are high. You may also notice that you skipped a meal and need to eat. Notice the sensations and accept how you’re feeling without judgement.
Remember to breathe
Deep, slow breathing actually changes the information going to your brain and tells your body it’s okay to relax.
Try the Box Breathing relaxation technique.
- Sit or stand in a comfortable position.
- Breathe in slowly and deeply for four counts. As you breathe in, try to fill the very bottom of your lungs with air. You should feel your stomach move out—try putting a hand on your stomach and seeing how far you can push it out.
- Hold your breath for four counts. Exhale slowly for four counts. Hold your breath for four counts.
- Continue the pattern of breathing in for four counts, holding your breath for four counts, exhaling for four counts, and holding your breath for four counts. If you find the four-count too difficult, reduce the count to two or three.
- If the four-count is easy, try adding a count or two.
Find ways to move
Give yourself extra time
Show care to others
How to handle turbulence
What’s that sound?
In or out of the lines.
YVR has collaborated with the Canadian Mental Health Association to create an on-the-go colouring book to help you relax when travelling.
YVR is here to help
At YVR, we strive to offer a positive experience to all travellers who visit our airport. Universal access is a fundamental component of customer care at YVR. We look at all aspects of the airport travel, experience from how we design the airport terminal to the customer care services that we provide. We want everyone to be able to fly comfortably through YVR and are committed to providing the best possible airport environment for customers of all abilities.
Here are a few of the ways we’ve kept your well-being in mind:
Mobility, hearing, and vision loss friendly environments
Customer Care Volunteers
Customer Care Counters